Saturday 21 July 2012

Responsible Consumerism

I'm just as guilty as the next girl of popping down to Primark, spending 2 pounds on a top and then wearing it once and never again. But there are some amazing, beautiful and fun things available online that do something nice for the world. Here are some of my total favourites :-)


This tiny terrarium is made from recycled glass using a stained glass soldering technique. I can just image a tiny succulent in there, sitting on my desk, making my air happy and oxygeny (is that a word?) and generally looking just perfect. Megamyers has a bunch of awesome terranium's in her shop. Feel free to go there and buy me (or you, I suppose) something.

Although I would inevitably lose one, as I do with all earrings I buy, however big or small, these are possibly the most beautiful earrings I have seen. They are created by designer Catherine Nicole. Part of the profits of every sale go towards providing microloans for girls in developing countries to help them escape an impoverished life by running their own business, avoiding becoming a child bride and generally making a better future for themselves. There is lots more information and beautiful jewellery here.

This 100% organic Fairtrade certified cotton dress is from People Tree. People Tree's policy is that they support farmers and workers through the entire production process, often paying 50% of the payment in advance, as well as offering finance for educational organisations in areas where children are not entitled to a free education like here in the UK. I love it, although I already have like, 29 navy blue dresses. One more can't hurt right?

Hope your weekend is going well, I'm about to start a DIY chevron wall in my living room, kind of putting it off because I'm scared - I'll share photos when it's completed :-)


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful picks, thanks for sharing. Love the idea of People Tree doing their bit for the environment and supporting farm workers as well. Love your blog. Hope your having a great Summer! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! People Tree are such an amazing brand :-) I really appreciate your reading and commenting <3

      Delete

Similiar Posts...